About the Scholarships
Uversity’s Scholarships are for adult learners who wish to complete a Bachelor’s (Ordinary or Higher) Degree, for the first time, that will help transform their lives and the lives of those around them. Scholarships enable successful candidates to pursue a degree, in any discipline, in selected institutions on the island of Ireland. Preference is given to candidates enrolling on full-time programmes. Part time or blended programmes will also be considered.
The Scholarships comprise financial support and programming throughout the course of the degree. There are two levels of financial support available depending on whether or not the successful candidate has dependent children:
€5,000 no dependent children
€7,000 dependent children
Scholarships are awarded based on online written application, successful interview and on demonstrated financial need.
The scholarship is payable per annum for the duration of the Scholar's chosen degree, up to a maximum of 4 years.
Payments are made directly to the scholar through monthly instalments over the course of their degree. All payments are subject to the Scholar's compliance with Uversity's scholarship agreement, continued registration and progression to the next academic year.
Uversity have been successful in securing Income Disregard status from the Department of Social Protection (DSP) and the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science (DFHERIS). Therefore, successful candidates in the Republic of Ireland in receipt of means-tested social welfare benefits and, or SUSI grants can receive a maximum scholarship of €7,000 without impacting these supports.
Successful candidates in Northern Ireland can also receive a maximum scholarship of €7,000 and should seek advice from Student Finance Northern Ireland and, or their local tax credit office to confirm any impact of such a Scholarship.
How to Apply?
Before you start an application you should:
- read Uversity’s Privacy Notice to make sure that you are happy with how we use your personal data
- know what degree programmes and institution(s) you are applying to. If you don’t or have questions please review Where to study?
- review the Are you eligible? section below
- read the Frequently Asked Questions or contact us on email@example.com.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be at least 23 years by 1st January in the year of enrolment
- Be a citizen of an EU/EEA member state, Switzerland or the UK* or have permanent leave to remain in the Irish State. See here for further information
- Be resident on the island of Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years
- Be applying, have applied or have been admitted to commence Bachelor’s Degree in one of Uversity’s participating institutions for the 2024/2025 academic year.
- Be able to demonstrate a financial need that cannot be met by Government supports or personal/family income.
* Please note that Uversity’s policy on the eligibility of UK citizens to apply for a scholarship after January 1st 2021 is intended to remain in line with the policy of the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science (DFHERIS) and Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI). We reserve the right to alter our eligibility requirements in line with any changes made by these institutions, or any policy changes as a result of Brexit.
- Non-EEA citizens, resident on the island of Ireland, must have received permanent leave to remain by the closing date for applications. See here for further information.
- Applicants can be currently enrolled on or have recently completed a course that prepares them for higher education.
- Applicants who have already received or are currently enrolled on a Bachelor’s Degree ARE NOT ELIGIBLE.
- Applicants DO NOT need to have an offer at time of application but if selected for a scholarship must receive an offer on a Bachelor’s Degree in one of Uversity’s participating institutions to receive a scholarship. Candidates may have a deferred offer for admission to the 2023/24 academic year.
- Preference is given to candidates enrolling on full-time programmes, in any subject, that can normally be completed in a maximum of four years. Other programmes will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Scholarships are awarded based on an assessment of financial needs.
Please note that if, in the course of your degree programme, you no longer meet the eligibility or financial need criteria, you may no longer be eligible for the scholarship.
of Uversity's Selection Process?
April – June 2024
All applications are reviewed by qualified review panels according to eligibility guidelines and a shortlist of candidates for interview is created.
- interview shortlisted candidates to determine their:
- academic potential
- motivation and ambition for returning to education
- drive to succeed and work ethic
- ability to be transformed and help transform the lives of others as a result of the scholarship and educational experience
- understanding of their financial needs as an Adult Learner
1st February –
Applications are open. The application form and any other information will be available on the Uversity homepage. Information sessions will be held online regularly during this time.
- directly to the programme(s) / institution(s) they would like to attend
- for other funding sources such as SUSI, Back to Education Allowance, Student Finance Northern Ireland
- to Uversity via its online application system with the following information:
- biographical and contact details
- education to date and the Degree Programme and Institution(s) they are applying to or already have received an offer to commence a Bachelor's Degree in 2024/2025 academic year.
- any employment/volunteering (if applicable) to date
- statement (maximum 500 words) detailing their Motivation, Preparation, Ambition for their intended programme and the Justification for awarding them a scholarship
- names and contact details of two referees
July – September 2024
- makes scholarship offers to successful candidates subject to:
- assessment of financial need
- candidate's confirming admission to a Bachelor's Degree Course
- acceptance of Uversity's terms and conditions
- begins Scholarship programming and payments